Monday, April 25, 2022

Redeemed

 ...knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.  For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.  1 Peter 1:18-21


Redeemed
Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915)

Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child, and forever, I am.

Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb.
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child, and forever, I am.

Redeemed and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence
with me doth continually dwell.

I think of my blessed Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long;
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.

I know I shall see in His beauty
the King in whose law I delight;
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps,
and giveth me songs in the night.
.....

I remember singing many Fanny Crosby songs out of the hymnal when I was a child growing up in the church and my mom taught me a bit about her.  Fanny was just a few weeks old when a doctor placed hot poultices on her eyes to draw out an infection.  However, this did not work and Fanny became blind.  She didn't start writing hymns until she was forty years old but she made up for lost time, writing around 8,000 poems that were set to music.  These poems are filled with joy and longing for the Lord.  "Redeemed and so happy in Jesus" is not just a line that sounds good in a hymn, it is the story of Crosby's life.  She may have been blinded to the light of this world, but Fanny Crosby had a light shining in her soul.

.....

More on Fanny Crosby:  

No comments:

Post a Comment