Monday, December 13, 2021

Simple Christmas Song


 Music has been a part of my life for all my life.  My mom helped me to learn how to read music and because the church I grew up in used hymnals for congregational singing, I learned a lot about four-part harmony.  

Hymns have played a major role in my life and so has Christmas music.  So when the Christmas season rolls around, I am usually humming some ditty that is stuck in my head on repeat.  This song below has been in my head for a few days, so I wanted to share it with you.  It is a short and simple song with a gentle melody and words of truth.   

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S

(Jenny Lou Carson / Eddy Arnold)

...Originally recorded by Eddy in 1949
Jim Reeves - 1963
Also recorded by Rosemary Clooney, Perry Como, Kitty Wells, Andy Williams, Ernest Tub, Hank Snow

"When I was but a youngster, Christmas meant one thing,
that I'd be getting lots of toys that day.

I learned a whole lot diff'rent when Mother sat me down
and taught me to spell Christmas this way:

"C is for the Christ Child born upon this day;
"H" for herald angles in the night.
"R" means our Redeemer
"I" means Israel
"S" is for the star that shone sho bright.
"T" is for three wise men, they who traveled far
"M" is for the manger where He lay.
"A" is all He stands for
"S" means shepherds came,
And that's why there's a Christmas Day."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Perry Como's version was the one my mom played over and over.  Mom loved Perry.  Enjoy!

C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S - YouTube

Here is Eddy Arnold's recording:

Eddy Arnold "C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S" - YouTube

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment