Wednesday, January 12, 2022

How I Do A Word Study

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a worker who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.  2 Timothy 2:15

 Have you ever done a Bible word study?  Here's how I do one:

1.  Pick a word to study.  There are lots of lists out there or maybe you're keeping a list of Bible words you want to explore.  Maybe start a notebook so you can write down all this study information or add pages to your current Bible planner or binder.

2.  Look up the word in your dictionary.  That way you are sure of the word's definition.  This may sound silly but as I have studied words (#WordNerd), I have found that every now and then I am a little off in my definition.  Sometimes there can be so many nuances.  

2a. Is your word derived from another language?  Are there different connotations to your word based on its usage?  Was there a different connotation one hundred years ago or has the word been used the same way since Day One?

3.  Look up your word in the Hebrew and Greek.  Sometimes words in English can have a different meaning in the Bible (see: hope).  Some resources are listed below; let me know if you find a good one I can add to this list.  Are there subtle differences in the different languages?  You can use a basic lookup like Google Translate but explore the word a little further with a more in-depth study site or app to find the meaning and usage and not just the definition. There are many online sites to find words.  It's fun to use sites that have a sound file where you can hear the word pronounced in Hebrew or Greek.  Careful, you may find this a fun activity! 

4.  Use a concordance (like the one at the back of your Bible) to see how many verses in the Bible use this word.  Write them down on your study paper.  Also check with a really comprehensive concordance (like Strong's Concordance) to find every verse that contain the word.  (Some Bible concordances use just the major Scriptural references or don't list every single one because of space issues.)  And you'll find that different translations may use different words.  I read and use the NASB but when I read or hear of a different word used in another translation, it helps to give me a different shade of meaning and helps deepen my understanding of the word and idea in the verse.  Maybe keep track of those different words in your study for future reference; I often will write down a synonym used in a different translation in my everyday Bible next to the verse where the word is found.  My mom taught me to do that.

What do you think of this list?  I hope that it will get you started on the wonderful #WordNerd journey!  Is there another step or resource you like, as well?  Let me know in the comments!  Let's learn and study together!  

Resources:

Recommended: Get the app for the Strong's Concordance and learn to use it. (Apple and Mac)

Dictionary.com | Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

Ancient Hebrew Dictionary - Aleph (ancient-hebrew.org)

Hebrew Dictionary | HebrewPod101.com

Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary - Bible Lexicons - StudyLight.org


Do you know how the Strong's Concordance came to be in existence?  Seems to me he was a major #WordNerd!

2 comments:

  1. I've never done a word study because it is very intimidating to me. Thank you for the resources! I'll attempt one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! Pick an easy word that you like. Maybe do a little research on some “basic” words, and then write down a study on one that captures your thoughts.

      Delete