Monday, January 24, 2022

Word of God

 Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes and I shall observe it to the end.  

Give me understanding, that I may observe Your law and keep it will all my heart.  

Make me walk in the path of Your commandments for I delight in it.  

Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to dishonest gain.

Turn my eyes from looking at vanity and revive me in Your ways.

Psalm 119: 33-37

...

O Word of God Incarnate
William Walsham How (1823-1897)

O Word of God incarnate, O Wisdom from on high,
O Truth unchanged, unchanging, O Light of our dark sky:
we praise Thee for the radiance that from the hallowed page,
a lantern to our footsteps, shines on from age to age.

The Church from Thee, her Master, received the gift divine,
and still that light she lifteth o'er all the earth to shine,
it is the sacred casket where gems of truth are stored;
it is the heaven-drawn picture of Thee, the living Word.

It floateth like a banner before God's host unfurled;
it shineth like a beacon above the darkling world.
It is the chart and compass that o'er life's surging sea,
mid mists and rocks and quicksands, still guides, O Christ, to Thee.

O make Thy Church, dear Savior, a lamp of purest gold,
to bear before the nations Thy true light as of old.
O teach Thy wandering pilgrims by this their path to trace,
till, clouds and darkness ended, they see Thee face to face.

...

William W. How served a rural congregation on the Welsh border for twenty-eight years and then ministered in London's East End.  He loved the Bible.  On his symbolic pastoral staff, he engraved the words of St. Bernard: "Pasce verbo, Pasce vita," which means, "Feed with the Word, feed with the Life."  These words he penned are full of meaning and truth.

God's Word IS full of life!  It is full of the words that give us joy to our hearts, peace that passes understanding, and a hope for our future.  No other written book can compare.  It took me a long time to really enjoy Bible reading; I encourage you to be in His Word daily so that it may revive you in His Ways.

Grace and Peace to you....


2 comments: