Monday, February 28, 2022

The Voice in a Dream

 You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.  All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.  2 Timothy 3: 14-17

God, in the Gospel of His Son
Benjamin Beddome (1717 - 1795)
Thomas Cotterill (1779 - 1823)


God in the gospel of His Son,
Makes His eternal counsels known;
Where love in all its glory shines,
And truth is drawn in fairest lines.

Here sinners of a humble frame
May taste His grace, and learn His name;
May read, in characters of blood,
The wisdom, pow'r, and grace of God.

The pris'ner may break his chains;
The weary rest from all his pains;
The captive feel his bondage cease;
The mourner find the way of peace.

Here faith reveals to mortal eyes
A brighter world beyond the skies;
Here shines the light which guides our way
From earth to realms of endless day.

O grant us grace, Almighty Lord,
To read and mark Thy holy Word;
Its truths with meekness to receive,
And by its holy precepts live.

...
I have been a Christian for a long time.  And sometimes I have taken the Bible for granted.  There has been a Bible or two on my bookshelves for a very long time.  I have study Bibles, a journaling Bible, I even have two or three that belonged to my mom and dad.  One that my dad repaired with packing tape!  Their writing and notes inside are very precious to me.

Ever since I have been reading the Bible every day, I am pleased to say that I am seeing it with fresh eyes.  Oh, I've not become jaded to the #truth written in those pages; I still love each and every word that is in there.  It still announces a message of freedom--freedom from sin, freedom from wandering, and freedom to love God with all my heart, mind, and soul (Deuteronomy 6:5).  I know that God's Word shines light into the darkness of people's lives.

This particular hymn reminds us that Scripture helps us to recognize the name of our loving Heavenly Father.  For some it is a search for a voice in a dream.  It is faint; who is it?  Then the Good Book is opened and the questioning child sees the name that has lived in his hopes--the Almighty Lord, loving Savior, Friend, and Guide.  

...

Links:

God, in the Gospel of His Son (Germany) - YouTube

Benjamin Beddome - Wikipedia

Thomas Cotterill | Hymnary.org

Home - Faith Comes By Hearing


No comments:

Post a Comment