Monday, March 28, 2022

Sweet Hour of Prayer

 With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints... Ephesians 6:18


Sweet Hour of Prayer
William W. Walford (1772 - 1850)

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care.
and bids me at my Father's throne
make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
my soul has often found relief,
and oft escaped the tempter's snare,
by Thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
The joys I feel, the bliss I share
of those whose anxious spirits burn
with strong desires for Thy return!
With such I hasten to thy place
where God my Savior shows His face,
and gladly take my station there
and wait for Thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear
to Him whose truth and faithfulness
engage the waiting soul to bless;
and since He bids me seek His face,
believe His word and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my every care,
and wait for Thee, sweet hour of prayer!
...

The author of this hymn, according to one account, was a blind preacher and curio shop owner in Coleshill, England.  He carved ornaments out ivory or wood and sold them in his small store.  He also wrote poetry.  A local minister stopped at the store one day, and the blind shop owner mentioned that he had composed a poem in his head and asked that the minister write it down for him.  A few years later, the minister visited the United States and gave the poem to a newspaper editor.

No one knows what happened to William Walford.  Researchers found a William Walford, a minister of Homerton, England, who wrote a book on prayer that expresses many of the same thoughts that are mentioned in this poem.  That may be the true author.

I have been writing verses of Scripture every day for over a year and the thought of preparing for Easter through fasting and prayer is a fascinating study for this month before Easter.  In fact, I wrote the verse at the beginning of this post just the other day!  How serendipitous that that specific verse would be brought to my attention.  The verse centers on God Himself, reminds me that my life should be focused and attentive to Him, and encourages me to pray earnestly for all Christians everywhere.  

The identity of this hymn's writer is not as important as knowing a God who hears and answers prayer.  In our hymns, prayer is frequently rhymed with care.  Whenever we are aware of care, we should equally aware of prayer.  God cares about us and that should motivate us to prayer.

...

I love love love acapella music

Sweet Hour Of Prayer - YouTube  The Magnificent Mahalia Jackson

So many recordings of this hymn are out there--find your favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment